Cooking Time: To work out the cooking time allow 25 minutes per 500g (1lb) plus 25 minutes for a medium cooked moist roast
- Preheat your oven to 170-180°C, Gas Mark 4.
- Weigh the joint and calculate the cooking time.
- Dry the rind and score deeply with a sharp knife then rub the joint with a little oil and salt.
- Place the joint in a roasting tin and open roast in the oven for the calculated cooking time.
To make the Stuffing Balls
- Remove the sausage meat from their skins and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the sage and chopped pears, mixing thoroughly.
- Take large spoonfuls of the mixture and shape into balls, place on a baking sheet and add to the oven 20-25 minutes before the roast has finished cooking.
To check when the joint is cooked, it's juices should run clear, then remove from the oven and let it rest, covered for 10 minutes before carving. This allows the juices to stay in the joint and keep moist.
For a cider based jus, use the meat juices from the roasting pan and add a large glug of pear cider, boil rapidly to reduce slightly, then serve with your roast and pear stuffing balls.
Steamed veg and roast potatoes.