Serves – 8
Cooking time – About 2 hours
Oven temperature – 170 ̊C, 325°F, gas mark 3
1tbsp (15ml) Oil
900g (2lb) Shoulder of pork, trimmed and diced
3x15mlsp (3tbsp) Plain flour, seasoned with black pepper
2 large onions, peeled and sliced
3 Garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
150ml (5floz) Water
150ml (5floz) Real ale
15mlsp (1tbsp) Wine vinegar
5ml (1tsp) Gravy granules or a stock cube
2x15mlsp (2tbsp) Parsley, chopped
1 Bay leaf
2x 5mlsp (2tsp) Brown sugar
2.5mlsp (1/2 tsp) Caraway seeds – optional
Dumplings - optional
100g (4oz) Self raising flour
25g (1oz) Butter, unsalted
1 egg, beaten
25g (1oz) Reduced fat mature Cheddar cheese, grated
15mlsp (1tbsp) Semi skimmed milk
- Heat oil in a large heavy pan. Coat the pork in the seasoned flour, add to the pan and brown on all sides. Lower the heat and then add the onion and garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients (except Dumplings) and bring to the boil stirring all the time.
- Place a lid on the pan and put into the oven for about 11/2 hours.
- Sift the flour and rub in the butter to form a semi-crumble mix. Add the grated cheese and bind together with the egg. Add a little milk if it is not binding.
- Form into 8 small balls and 20minutes before the end of the cooking time add these to the casserole, replace the lid and place back into the oven to cook for the remaining 20 minutes.
Alternative cooking methods
- Place all ingredients (except the dumplings) in microwave-safe casserole dish. Cover and microwave on high (100% power) for 5-10 minutes.
- 2Take out, stir, then microwave on medium (70% power) for a further 15-20 minutes, or until the pork is tender.
- Stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Slow Cooker method
- Place all ingredients (except dumplings) into a slow cooker, stir, cook on low for 6–8 hours.
- If required, add the dumplings about an hour before the end of the cooking time.
Serve with garlic bread or warm crusty bread rolls.